Sunday, February 5, 2017

Who Controls What I Consume?

I consume a lot of media.  I practically live online so learning who owns what I consume and what biases I may be unaware of is something I should look more into.  So first of all, I am going to list the media I consume the most below.

  1. Youtube
  2. Tumblr
  3. Snapchat
  4. HGTV
  5. Food Network
These are all the websites, social media platforms, and TV channels that I frequent.  Now to find out who owns each of theses media outlets.
  1. Youtube - Google
  2. Tumblr - Yahoo
  3. Snapchat - Snap Inc.
  4. HGTV - Scripps Network Interactive
  5. Food Network - Scripps Network Interactive
What I find interesting first off is that HGTV and Food Network are owned by the same company.  This makes a lot of sense however when you put in the context of their programming.  They have advertisements for each others channels all the time so it doesn't surprise me too much.  However, this makes me realize that this one company monopolizes my TV intake.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Michele. I liked your approach of looking at multiple platforms, and thought it was interesting that you found out that the two television channels that you frequent most are both owned by the same company. I also found it interesting that you actually noticed that both channels advertised programming for each other. That's a really neat observation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michele. Just like you one of my tops forms of media is Youtube. It is interesting to see how everything is connected to each other, and just like Aubrey mentioned you made a really good observation on the connection of HGTV and the Food Network.

    ReplyDelete