Sunday, February 19, 2017

Videogames Violence: Its not so bad

Videogame Violence always is under attack.  Always.  I mean it.  Always.  But why?  Is it because its new?  Is it because people don't understand it?  Are afraid of it?

Personally, I love Videogames.  I am an avid player and viewer of videogames.  Its a type of media I greatly enjoy.  Videogames relieve my stress, help me calm anxiety, and overall just give me a short reprieve from my nonstop go go go life that I currently live, with being full time in school and almost full time at work.  But I was happy to learn that my love of videogames may actually help me.

TIMAU did a study on Videogame Violence and how it affects the brain.  This study found that there is very little correlation of aggression and violent videogames but, did find that they improve visuospatial cognition which helps people in careers such as engineers and surgeons.  These videogames work specific muscles in our eyes that force us to notice small changes in color and react to them quickly.  This is one of the first parts of our eyesight that fades with age as said by the Huffington Post.

Videogames also have many other benefits.  The Huffington Post states in its article, 9 Ways Videogames Can Actually be Good for You, that some of the benefits include: increased brain muscle, increase in brain flexibility, decreased effects of dyslexia, and relieving of pain.

Videogames are not bad.  They may depict violence but most people on this planet have the common sense to know its a videogame.  It's not real life.  You can't do in real life what you do in videogames.  It's just logic.  And coming from me the most nonviolent, tree hugging, gun hating, liberal in my family of conservative, conceal and carrying individuals, I think violent videogames have no bearing on your aggression.  Because if it did, I'd be the one screaming at random people on the streets for the agenda they are pushing instead of my Uncle.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting perspective, Michele. I have also heard that video games, of all varieties, help children and teens who have ADHD. Even though people are aware that video games are fantasy there are certain aspects of violent games that might provide a "template" for an individual already planning to commit violent acts. And as with most things, stimuli effects different people differently. It can be calming and an escape for some, but can cause stress and frustration in another.

    ReplyDelete